Smartphones and tablets are very handy but what if you want to print something? Maybe you’ve got a document or a picture that you want a copy of. What to do then? Printing from a mobile device is not as straightforward as from a standard PC but here is one method for Android platforms.
It uses a free service from Google called “Cloud Print”. You’ll need a Google account and a separate PC with a Chrome browser and an attached printer. You’ll also need a free app for your Android device.
First, configure the PC that has a printer attached.
- Open the Chrome browser.
- If not already signed in, sign in to your Google account by clicking the menu button in the far-right upper corner and then select “Sign in with Google.”
- After signing in, return to the Chrome menu page and click “Settings”.
- At the bottom of the Settings page, click “Show advanced settings”.
- Scroll down to the section “Google Cloud Print” and click the button “Add printers”.
- A confirmation page will open. Click “Add printer(s)”. Internet-enabled printers will not need this step.
- A Cloud Print web page will open where you can make further configurations of your printers, if desired.
- The Google Cloud Print section of the Chrome Advanced Settings page will now have two buttons, “Disconnect printers” and “Manage printers”.
- Download and install one of the free Cloud Print apps. I tried the newly released Google Cloud Print app.
- Open the Cloud Print app and it should show the printer(s) that you set up on your PC.
How to Print from Your Android Tablet or Smartphone